Other information

Saturday 20 July 2019

Remix Abstract Surrealism part 01

It looks like the bare bones of a new film are at least in sight, the working title is ‘Remix’ and my intention is document all (or some of the production process), whilst I now know the source material, the final outcome is unknown, where it will go and what steps the journey may involve may be of interest. This is a very personal project and involves my father who is something of a polymath (lots of poly…not so much math). Colin Spencer has been successful in a number of fields during his working life, a painter, a playwright, a novelist, a journalist (who hasn’t been one of these at some stage?) and historian. As he reaches the end of his allotted time on earth, he has returned to his first love painting with a vengeance. I love my father dearly and he has been a huge influence on me, we always enjoy discussing his work and I have often made contributions on how he could develop his work further. His style at the end of his life has changed to Abstract Surrealism where, he claims, he has found himself. I have often joked (not actually joking) that when he dies, I shall repaint many of the recent works and take then where they should be, he opens well, but not what you’d call ‘a completer, finisher’ . At a recent dinner party one of his friends remarked that of course I meant ‘digitally’, actually I didn’t, but now that my fame as a video artist has spread as far as my aunt in the South of France, I thought ‘why the hell not’, so I have grabbed six photos of my dads most recent work (all constantly square, well done Dad) and this will form the basis of the next project.



Maps of Flatter Worlds

My video work is an attempt to make animated paintings with audio, which fits within the cannon of abstraction. Hence the revisiting of a pa...